Saturday, October 7, 2017

Day 1 - Aug. 20

Mexican border to Sunset Beach

I had to restart because I spent the night at a friend's house the night before -- a no-no for a self-supported run.  I figured if I was going to carry everything on my back for the trip, I should get credit for a self-supported run.  Luckily I learned this lesson on Day 1 and easily re-did my 25 or so miles for the day, Aug. 20th.  Unfortunately I also had to repeat swimming across the Tijuana River with all my gear on my head...


Take two. I didn't realize staying at a friend's house would disqualify me from a "self supported" fastest known time on the California Coastal Trail. In retrospect it's obvious. But this gave me the opportunity to drop a few things I realized immediately were weighing me down, namely my solar charger. While it is a nice insurance it is really heavy. Thank you to my friends @ffcccompetetor_erlyell for taking my excess things for me, now I know that even giving extra things to a friend is considered support! So I plan to start my journey again this morning at the Mexico Border. I had also considered making this a vegan trip but wasn't vegan yesterday. This morning the uber driver by chance dropped me at an all vegan coffee shop (was on the way to the border but asked him to drop me at a coffee place first so I would be well fueled). So I can restart the vegan part too. Hopefully second time's the charm. #instablog #cct #californiacoastaltrail #vegan #fkt
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on 




Here I am, about to begin the journey on Day 1. My Uber driver took this photo, he also gave me a pen, because he said he thought I might need it, to write down my experiences. 
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on 




The Uber driver:





I took this picture the day before but had to swim across the same river again when I restarted Aug. 20th.

At the beginning of the trip I tried to use the #instablog hashtag to automatically post Instagram photos to my blog.  After a few weeks I realized that I wouldn't have time to put anything other than Instagram photos on the blog, so it was superfluous.  Don't mind the tags...
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on 


When I had to re-start Aug. 20th a friend of mine asked whether I had considered the way "fkt" could also stand for "fuck it" in a carefree sort of way!  I made a post with the fkt hashtag and hangten hands, then later that day saw this hangten sticker in a convenience store, I considered it a good omen.
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on 

I ran through Coronado Island, took the ferry across, and then ran through the shops near the Star of India downtown, a place I used to run frequently when I lived in Banker's Hill in San Diego.

An acquaintance had taken his anger out on me through a text message I got on the ferry from Coronado Island and it upset me.  But, just after my first trail marker, just past Seaport Village, I ran into Ernesto Mendoza and his children, who live in Mexico but were in San Diego for the weekend.  He was so excited for my journey that he asked to take a photo with me.  His energy lifted my spirits.  And I felt good about my trip again.

Later on, seeing the ocean calmed me further.  I had an overwhelming feeling that the ocean is bigger than my problems.  Like an animal, the ocean doesn't know about my missteps and mistakes, and it is so much bigger than I am.


A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on

A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on

A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on  

An amazing coincidence, I ran into hiker legend Reinhold Metzger in the middle of the night on an empty city street in San Diego!  I didn't get a picture of him so posted a picture I took the next morning:


Here is a real picture of Reinhold, we talked for about an hour, the neighbors complained we were being too loud late at night!  He gave me some great tips, one in particular being that I should have a daily mileage goal.  I set my goal at 30 miles per day.  I wasn't always able to meet that goal, but it definitely helped motivated me.  I am extremely grateful to have run into Reinhold, and that he shared his wisdom with me. 


An article about Reinhold: 


Reinhold had told me to take a certain street to get to the beach but I was trying to follow the trail as closely as possible.  Unfortunately Reinhold knew better than the trail map.  I arrived at a gate that looked like private property.  I walked down the street and took a detour to get back to the trail.  I tried to go through a college but the night guard said that I had to have an ID, he confirmed that the gate I saw was private property and told me the best way to get to the beach.  Finally, I made it to Sunset Beach, where I crashed for a few hours, only interrupted by a couple hiking at night who I startled.  I thought they were the police, they thought I was the police!

4 comments:

  1. Who is that guy???...Is that me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOHHHH my gosh it is me!!!
      What a difference 52 years makes.
      Yes, hiking was a little different in those days.
      Click the below link to see what hiking was like in those days.

      http://imgur.com/aJGLZTh

      JMT Reinhold
      Deadliest Bazooka Gunner in Vietnam
      Some girls say..."also the best looking"

      Delete