Saturday, October 7, 2017

Day 21 - Sept. 9


Monterey Beach Dunes Inn to Manresa Uplands Campground

From my logs for the day:

Day 21: Overslept and missed my chance to pick up the smaller solar charger waiting for me at the Moss Landing post office. Also missed breakfast, but there were doughnuts and coffee in the lobby. I made an exception on my vegan diet for the free food, my policy so far.
Another river crossing, luckily only waist deep water. Had to wander around in the water for a while trying to follow the shallowest part. Lots of birds, churning water, hardly any people on the beach. Great restaurant with vegan Mexican food and art. Have to detour inland to avoid crossing a bigger river. Would have struggled to find my way off the beach but there was a couple having a fire right by the entrance. Missed gas station closing by half an hour, maybe 20 more miles tonight. Or maybe camp, lots of campgrounds with water on the way to Santa Cruz.

I wrote my log while charging my phone on the cold pavement at the gas station that had closed just before I arrived.  The attendant let me use the restroom and showed me an outdoor outlet, I was grateful.  I took the alternate route inland to avoid having to cross the Pajaro River, which the guidebook warned could be impassable.

It looks like I ran 10+ miles to get to the Manresa Uplands Campground.  I couldn't find the check-in and so took an empty site and slept for a couple of hours before being woken again by the sun.

I have in my notes that the trip sometimes felt like this Seinfeld skit:




A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on


No comments:

Post a Comment