Saturday, October 7, 2017

Day 27 - Sept. 15

Muir Beach to Bolinas

From my notes:

"Pelican Inn gives me free salad and coffee, I head out. Run Dipsea trail and think of all my ultra running friends who have been there. Meet two bikers, one turns out to be the relative of the owners of the hotel in Stinson that I missed.
I fuel up at Stinson grocery ready to put in a long night, but am tired.
I had promised my mom I would try not to run at night. But found myself at it again. First the lady at the grocery warned me about mountain lions, then a police officer stopped me to make sure I was okay. I started praying for a hotel. Not long after, this couple I had seen at the grocery store pulled over to ask if I needed help. They told me about a 24 hour farmstand where it would be safe to camp. They offered to let me stay with them too, but it would've been out of the way. Then they said a prayer for me, to "Doctor God" I love that phrase! They prayed that I would inspire others to go out on a leap of faith. And that I would be safe and not push myself too far.
I find the farmstand, which has an art gallery that's unlocked. It's much warmer and drier than sleeping outside. But the floor looks hard. Behind some vegetables I spot a woven mat just my size. I plug in my devices and camp on the mat."

Other reflections in my notes for the day:
-You experience a lot more walking all day than you do sitting in one place
-This trek: "Like most things, if you knew what went into it, you wouldn't want it." 
-Thought of how doing this trip felt like an expression of my true self.  The idea that people succeeding was an expression of their true selves seemed clear.
-Hear "California Dreaming" for the second time
-Lyrics from Florence and the Machine's "Dog Days are Over" echo, "...you can't carry it with you if you want to survive" I think of this in regard to shedding unnecessary items
-See sign for Grateful Dead Night at the farm stand
-The couple I met near Bolinas went by Gi and Gi or "Gigi", the couple from Portugal and Japan went by Mi and Mi or "Mimi," interesting coincidence


Trail notes:
This was another segment in which I took the alternate route to avoid hiring a boat, here across the Bolinas Lagoon


A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on

A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on


Original Facebook post:

No comments:

Post a Comment