Saturday, October 7, 2017

Day 9 - Aug. 28

Point Mugu State Beach Campground to Ventura Beach

I woke in the camp and asked the kiosk agent where to find water.  I filled up two bottles, I knew that many barren road miles awaited me ahead.  Luckily I still had decent cell reception, soon it would plummet, limiting my Facebook and Instagram posts to Wi-Fi oases.

A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on



The morning was misty, I enjoyed views of the ocean from Highway 1.
   
Soon the sun came out, and it became intensely hot. I ran past large farms and felt a connection to the workers who like me were out in the hot sun. I ran through maybe ten to twelve miles of highway before coming to an unexpected fruit stand before the upcoming city. A sign said small baskets were $2, all the cash I had. I went to make my purchase, but the woman said the price was $3! She hesitated, then said that I could buy a day-old basket for $2! I was overjoyed. The stand also had a large Gatorade cooler with a spigot, and I filled up my water.
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
Soon I was on the outskirts of the city -- Oxnard. I stopped in a Mexican grocery store and bought some fifty cent fruit. In town, I stopped at Anacapuccino and Wendy's, where I charged my phone and dined on lentil soup, salad, a baked potato, and french fries before heading out again. I stopped for one final Starbucks coffee before making it to the beach.

The sun was just beginning to set as I arrived at Oxnard Shores. Another beautiful, surreal, beach landscape. This one scatted with smooth stones.

A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
A post shared by Natalie Larson (@arationallens) on
I spent way too much time following the trail's contours along Marina park, I was also beginning to get sleepy. The trail followed the beach, and then a bike path that ended near a group of businesses. Up ahead loomed the glimmering Crowne Plaza... there was a cheaper hotel half a mile away, I had done my research at Wendy's. But I was exhausted, and slightly scared by the Ventura night dwellers, so opted for the closer of the two hotels. Unfortunately the Crowne Plaza turned out to be $50 more than advertised online, but I took the room anyway, and told the man behind the counter about my run. Impressed, he upgraded my room to a suite overlooking the ocean, for free.

The room was grand, and I happily washed my clothes in the sink, arranging them on the luggage rack to dry while I slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment